The new Food Information Regulations (FIR) will apply on 13 December 2014 and will be enforced in the four UK nations (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland). When the new rules come in, you will have a legal responsibility to provide the correct allergen information about the ingredients that are in the food you make or serve, to your customer.
As a food business, you will have to supply information for every item on your menu that contains any of the 14 allergens as ingredients.
Details of these allergens will have to be listed clearly in an obvious place such as a menu, chalkboard or information pack. If it is not provided upfront, you will need to signpost where it could be obtained, either in written or oral formats. The Food Standards Agency has created posters, signs, sample menus cards and chefs allergen records, which are available to download at www.food.gov.uk/business-industry/allergy-guide/allergen-resources#toc-2
More information can be obtained as follows:
- Contact us to request a password for access to Erudus – free on line tool available for our customers where you can enter your unique product codes to request allergen and nutritional information plus many more features
- Our Free Online Database http://crgsupport.co.uk/products
- Sign up to K2N our unique online tool which not only contains allergen information but also analyses products, recipes and menus for nutritional content too, visit www.k2n.co.uk for a quick tour and call us to find out more
- Free online allergen training can be obtained non: http://allergytraining.food.gov.uk
- For information and advice about food allergies and intolerances, visit the Food Standards Agency website: www.food.gov.uk